Rhododendrons Survive Leaf-Clipping Job; Persian Lilac Not So Much; New Plants Added
Earlier this month I clipped a ton of damaged leaves from the smaller of the two Rhododendron bushes. Later I did the same for the larger of bush. I thought I went a bit overboard, literally clipping anything with even a speck of rust or brown spot or any kind of damage.
I think it worked.
I ordered some ladybugs from Amazon not too long ago. Don’t know if they’ll stick around, but it’s cool seeing them clustered up under the flowers of the Rhododendrons.
Unfortunately, though, the Persian Lilac isn’t faring as well. It’s doing the exact opposite, with its leaves wilting, all of them, the whole plant dying. I’m going to have to think of something. There’s still a few leaves looking healthy so maybe a severe pruning. Or replant it somewhere else with more sun or something.
Checking in on the other plants, the Doublefile Viburnum is going well. Quite well. The leaves have really fleshed out, the shrub looks healthy, vibrant; let’s hope it stays that way.
In the space between the Rhododendrons and Doublefile Viburnum, I planted five Columbine flowers. These are perennials with a weird looking flower that apparently attracts hummingbirds.
In the corner potter, the Girards Saybrook Glory Azalea is doing fine. It’s even blooming some new flowers.
As for the one plant that I tend to forget from time to time, because it’s so small and a bit out of place, is the Coral Bell. Being so small and delicate-looking, I’m always surprised that it survives the cold winter. But not only has it survived, it’s also getting in the flower business with its first flowering.
And in the new potter area I built, I finally put something in it. A tree. I ordered an Ann Magnolia tree from Amazon. It arrived maybe two feet long, with some leaves already fleshed out, looking a bit brittle. I’m not sure how well it will do so close to the house, not in direct sunlight, and in a relatively small potter for a tree, but I’m curious to see how the flowers look.
Progress is being made on the side of the house. Plants are surviving, the retainer wall/potter areas are coming along, flowers are starting to bloom. Overall, there’s still a lot of work that needs to be done, but it’s starting to make sense to me what I need to do.