Central Union Mission at 14th and R Streets NW
Central Union Mission is the oldest social service agency in the District of Columbia. It was founded in 1884 by the Reverend Latham Douglass, a young man filled with compassion for the thousands of homeless, neglected men who wandered Pennsylvania Avenue, many of whom were Civil War veterans.
Since 1884, the Mission has continuously operated an emergency shelter for homeless men and been a place for spiritual uplift and recovery. It has survived the Great Depression, two world wars, 24 presidential administrations, neighborhood transitions, and numerous relocations.
Today, Central Union Mission is a faith-based 501(c)3 nonprofit organization with four locations throughout the Washington area. It operates an 18-month rehabilitation program for men with life-controlling issues, a free meals program, a clothing and furniture distribution center, and a 220-acre retreat center with a camp for underprivileged children and recreation facilities for the community.
The Mission is continually developing its programs to meet the changing needs of the community. Its current programs serve homeless men, underprivileged women, children, seniors, veterans and the growing Hispanic community.
One life at a time, the Mission works to help transform the area’s toughest rehabilitation cases, including drug addicts, gang members, criminal offenders, and the chronically homeless into productive members of society. The Mission’s programs have an extremely high success rate at helping individuals overcome addiction and homelessness, and achieve independent living. Learn more about us on an eight-minute video, click here.